Steel News Updates

GovernmentBusiness

Trump Says Nippon Steel May Invest in US Steel

聽President Donald Trump indicated Nippon Steel is considering investing in United States Steel instead of an outright purchase.

February 7, 2025
GovernmentBusinessEquipment

US Steel Investor Pentwater Opposes Ancora鈥檚 Proxy Proposal

Pentwater, the third-largest investor in U.S. Steel, said it opposes moves by activist investor Ancora Holdings Group to shake up the board of the American steelmaker.

January 28, 2025
GovernmentBusinessEquipment

Ancora-Backed CEO Candidate Proposes US Steel Overhaul

鈥淚 want to have a stake in something that I鈥檓 going to be involved in,鈥 Alan Kestenbaum said Jan. 27 in an interview. 鈥淚f I get the chance to run the show, I鈥檒l invest in myself.鈥

January 27, 2025
GovernmentBusiness

Investor Seeks to Quash US Steel-Nippon Deal

An asset manager is seeking to quash Nippon Steel鈥檚 takeover of U.S. Steel and oust the leadership of the U.S. steelmaker after taking a stake in the company.

January 27, 2025
GovernmentBusiness

Canada, Mexico Steelmakers Refuse New US Orders

Some steelmakers in Canada and Mexico are telling customers that they are refusing new orders to the U.S. on concerns that President Donald Trump soon will reimpose duties.

January 24, 2025
GovernmentBusiness

Canada鈥檚 Counter-Tariff Plan Would Target US Aluminum, Steel

Canada鈥檚 draft plan to retaliate against U.S. tariffs may roll out in stages, with the government preparing to hit all American steel and aluminum products with counter-tariffs if necessary.

January 16, 2025
GovernmentBusiness

Steelmaker Proposes 鈥楢ll-American Solution鈥 for US Steel

HARRISBURG, Pa. 鈥 The bid by Japan鈥檚 Nippon Steel to buy U.S. Steel may have a new lease on life, even as the potential for a new bid for the storied Pittsburgh steelmaker began to emerge.

January 14, 2025
GovernmentBusiness

Cleveland-Cliffs, Nucor Mull US Steel Bid, CNBC Says

Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is partnering with rival Nucor Corp. in a potential bid for United States Steel Corp., CNBC reported Jan. 13.

January 13, 2025
GovernmentBusiness

Nippon Steel Stands Firm on a US Steel Takeover

TOKYO 鈥 Nippon Steel was standing firm on its proposed $15 billion acquisition of U.S. Steel, Chief Executive Eiji Hashimoto said after President Joe Biden blocked the steelmaker鈥檚 move.

January 7, 2025
GovernmentBusinessEquipmentSafety

Nippon Steel, US Steel File Lawsuits After Biden Blocks Deal

Nippon Steel Corp. and U.S. Steel Corp. jointly filed lawsuits in a last-ditch effort to preserve the planned merger of the companies, which was blocked last week by President Joe Biden.

January 6, 2025